Periodically, we publish “Mornings with Joe” videos on our YouTube channel about various travel topics. On today’s “Mornings with Joe,” I wanted to talk to you about travel safety.
There have been a few stories in the news lately about safety concerns for travelers abroad. And while not every incident is preventable by us, there are a number of things we can do to make sure that our travels come off safely.
- My first thought when it comes to travel safety is “Listen to your Mother! Use some common sense!” As always, Mom was spot on. If we use common sense, we can alleviate a lot of safety concerns when traveling.
- For example, when staying in a hotel or vacation home, never leave all the windows and doors unlocked when you are sleeping or out for the day. I know, I know…you are staying in such a laid-back and relaxed environment. But trust me: the locals lock their doors at night, too.
- Next, always lock your valuables in the safe provided in your room. Passports, laptops, phones, cash, tablets and other valuables should always be locked away when you are not using them. And leave your expensive jewelry and watches home. Don’t make yourself a target.
- When it comes to evening activities, always be aware of your surroundings. And whether you are staying at a resort or in a downtown hotel, never walk around alone late at night. It is easy to get disoriented in an unfamiliar environment, especially at night, and this can make you a target.
- When it comes to food and drink, again, use common sense. If something tastes or smells funny, don’t eat it or drink it. And as always, moderation is the key. Many safety incidents occur when too much alcohol has been consumed.
- When traveling with a group, always make plans for a check-in system. Make sure that someone knows where you are going and when you plan on returning. And always carry your hotel name and phone number with you.
- When taking a day tour or excursion, be sure to book with a reputable tour company. Your travel agent can help you with that. He will do his due diligence to make sure you have fun and a memorable experience, but in a good way.
I think if we follow these simple rules, we can all enjoy our vacations much more safely. If you would like to discuss this further, call me at (410) 588-6938. Have a great day and remember, always call Hurley World Travel for your vacation needs. Remember our motto: Travel Made Easy….and Safe!